You will require a valid visa and passport to enter India. The visa allows you to stay in India for a limited time period. It also helps the Indian authorities determine the duration and nature of your stay. For a regular visa, supporting long stay of more than 60 days, you will need to visit the Indian embassy or consulate closest to you. If you are planning for a short visit, you could apply for an e-visa online, at least 4 days before your date of departure.
Also read: How to Get Visit Visa
The e-visa to India is limited to recreational tours, casual visits to a friend or family member, casual visits related for business or medical treatment. You can apply for an Indian e-visa in just 4 simple steps.
4 Steps for an Indian E-Visa
- You will need to upload a front facing clear photograph against a white background and a scanned copy of your passport.
- Deposit the visa fee, by referring to the amount selection page, which shows the visa fee for different countries. This amount might change, so check when you need to apply for the e-visa.
- You can take the printout of the e-visa, which will be sent to you via email.
- Remember to check if the ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) status is showing “granted,” else your e-visa will not be considered valid.
Some Checks for E-Visa Holders
- You must have a return or onward travel ticket.
- Your passport should be valid for 6 months from the dates of your visit.
- This facility is available for most travelers, except people with diplomatic or official passports.
- Your e-visa for tourism and business can allow double entry, while an e-Medical visa will allow you to enter thrice, within a period of 60 days.
US citizens need a visa or e-visa to visit India because India does not have a visa waiver program, neither does the country allow visa on arrival for most nations, the only exception being Japan.
For more information on visit visas, check out this website – visitvisaguide.com.
All the best! If you have questions, please drop in comments.