If you’re the kind who takes Uber rides every now and then, you ‘re gonna love this post. Accept it, Uber is super comfortable and I love it! I don’t even mind paying more for some of the rides. The comfort and convenience is just awesome! However, one problem. A minor one, is that if you use it everyday, you’re going to loose a lot of money. But hey, I got a hack to save you some money!
Let’s look at how Uber fares are calculated, say in Mumbai.
Mumbai Fares for Uber
Base fare: ₹45
Cost per min:: ₹1
Cost per km: ₹8
Base fare: ₹70
Cost per min:: ₹1
Cost per km: ₹10
Say your trip was of 10 KM and it took 30 minutes and you take UberGo (hatchbacks). Your total are would be, Base fare = 45. (Distance = 10 x 8 = 80, Time: 30 x 1 = 30). Total = Rs.155 (Source)
So, essentially, you pay Rs. 155 for a 10 Kilometer ride in a hatchback. Fair enough! Assuming you take two rides once every week. So, in a year you would spend Rs. 16120 on Uber rides! (52 weeks). Can you save some of this money? Absolutely you can. Here’s the trick!
Get this frikkin’ awesome credit card from Standard Chartered! What does it do? It will give you a whopping 20% cashback on every Uber ride you take. Here’s the full list of features.
- When you sign up with this credit card on Uber, you get Rs.50 discount for first three rides.
- You get flat 20% off on all Uber rides you pay with this credit card.
- Cash back will be credited for all the rides in a given month by 30th of next month.
- The Offer is valid from October 01 2016 to September 30 2017 (Offer Period)
- Save flat 20% cashback discount on all rides (max Rs.600/month)
- Save up to Rs.3,224 per year if you take minimum two Uber rides a week
- Get 20% cashback on Uber rides every other month. No waiting!
- Earn 5% cash back at supermarkets and department stores like Reliance Fresh, Big Bazaar & Food Bazaar.
- Only Rs.499 annual fee (1st year). NO joining fee!
So, doing the math, for the above mentioned example, instead of paying Rs.155, you only pay Rs. 124! (20% cashback discount!) This is huge. Because in a year, you would be saving up to Rs. 3,224 if you are taking minimum 2 rides every week!
In a month, however the maximum cashback you can get is Rs.600, and that is fine for a reasonable Uber rider. Even if you are a heavy Uber user, Rs.600 discount every month is huge!
Hi, Mani Karthik here. Having lived in USA, India & Middle East, and worked for big MNC’s to startups, I have a lot to share with you. My aim is to help people, by sharing everything I’ve learned in life, through this blog. It’s read today by more than 150K people world over! I currently live in LA, California and visit India occasionally. Here’s my full story on who I am and why I blog. Connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or WhatsApp (+001-408-489-4785). Happy to help! 🙂