Bell peppers are more than just another ingredient to add to your recipes for color and texture. These bright vegetables have important nutrients for the body as well as antioxidants and fibers. They are available throughout the year but are more plentiful during summer season and early autumn. They come in vibrant shades of green, yellow, orange, red and a mix of brown and purple. Adding this colorful vegetable to your diet can benefit you in a number of ways.
20 health benefits of including bell pepper in your daily diet
1. Rich in vitamins: Bell peppers are a rich source of vitamins A, K and C. They help in keeping tissues healthy and boosting our immunity.
2. Rich in Carotenoids: Lycopene, which is a type of antioxidant, is the substance that gives bell peppers their red color. This is a carotenoid that helps you fight the free radicals that you are exposed through toxins in the environment.
3. Rich in Potassium: Bell peppers are rich in potassium as well. The fluids and minerals in your body are kept balanced and muscle function is enhanced. Blood pressure is regulated as well.
4. Rich in Fiber: Bell pepper has high fiber content. This is essential for the regulation of digestion as well as the levels of cholesterol.
5. Skin Protection: Bell peppers protect the skin from the effects of the sun’s UVB rays. The capsaicin that is present in sweet bell peppers reduced scarring due to UVB exposure.
6. Inflammation Reduction: Bell peppers, whether hot or sweet, have anti-inflammatory properties. This is great for people who suffer from arthritis.
7. Healthy Lungs: As mentioned earlier, bell peppers are packed with antioxidants and beta-carotene is essential for the protection of lungs, making it healthy.
8. Body Detoxification: The antioxidants present in these peppers help in detoxifying the body naturally and removing toxins and impurities. This keeps the body safe from illnesses.
9. Healthy Eyesight: Bell peppers are known for their ability to improve eyesight. Lutiens and zexanthin are antioxidants that help in this regard. There have been studies that prove that bell peppers may help in sopping cataracts.
10. Weight Loss: For people who are calorie-conscious, bell pepper is the ideal food. They are low in calories and help in manufacturing body heat, thus causing you to burn more calories than normal.
11. Scurvy Prevention: Scurvy is caused by a deficiency of vitamin C and since bell pepper have a high content of this vitamin, adding it to daily diets can do wonders in keeping this disease at bay.
12. Cancer Prevention: Lycopene helps in the prevention of certain cancers. It is found that it is beneficial for curing prostate cancer in men.
13. Heart Disease Prevention: Orange and yellow peppers are rich in carotenoids which prevent heart diseases and boost the health of the heart.
14. Blood Clot Boost: Vitamin K present in Bell pepper is important for blood clotting function.
15. Red Blood Cells Boost: These peppers provide us with folate which is essential for proper functioning of red blood cells in our body.
16. Birth Defect Prevention: Folate is also ideal for pregnant women as it prevents certain birth defects.
17. Immune System Boost: Bell peppers have properties that boost our immune system and make us less susceptible to illnesses and infection.
18. Collagen Build-up: The vitamin C that is found in bell peppers helps in building up collagen which is a protein that is found in bone, blood vessels and connective tissue.
19. Rich in Minerals: Yellow bell peppers are rich in minerals. Calcium makes bones strong and regulates weight. Physical growth as well as cognitive development is promoted by zinc.
20. Colorectal Cancer Prevention: There have been studies conducted over the years and although the results are still inconclusive, bell peppers may prevent colorectal cancer.
Adding these bright and wonderful-looking veggies to your diet can do wonders for your health due to the large number of nutrients that they contain. From eating them raw to adding them to your favorite dishes, there are many ways that you can play around with bell peppers. This is definitely one of the super-foods and there is no better vegetable to help you fight diseases, boost immunity and improve overall health.