According to an article in The Economic Times in 2016, there was a 12% increase in the number of Indians visiting the US in the first three months of 2016. The article went on to say that with more than 1.1 million visitors from India, a record was set in 2015. Data published by Statista further revealed that the figure was forecasted to rise above 1.94 million in 2021.
There is no denying the fact that Indians are increasingly visiting the US. It is also evident from the number of visa applications Indians are filing every day. To visit the US, Indians need the B-1/B-2 visitor visa, where B-1 covers trips for business and B-2 is for those who travelling to the US to seek medical treatment or simply for pleasure. However, in most situations, the B-1 and B-2 visas are combined and issued as one visa, the B-1/B-2.
But do you know what is the biggest mistake that often delays a visa application? It is the incomplete submission of documents. If you too are planning a visit to America, but are not sure which documents to present, here is a quick list that will help you.
Mandatory Documents Required for a US Visitor’s Visa
- One digital photograph as well as its hard copy, as per specifications
- DS160 US Visa application confirmation page. It should be stamped at the Visa Application Centre (VAC).
- Original passport, valid for at least six months beyond the applicant’s expected arrival date in USA.
- All old passports.
- Fee payment receipt.
- Printout of US Interview appointment letter.
- Valid Identity Card
- Proof of sufficient funds to support your US trip.
- Evidence of purpose of the trip.
- Evidences to show your strong ties in India. It ensures the interview officer that you have good reasons to come back to your home country.
- Proof of occupation, including letter of employment verification, if employed, an NOC, if working for the government, and proof of business ownership and finances, in case you are self employed.
The requirement of supporting documents may further vary based on the reason for which you are visiting the US.
Here is an elaborated list of supporting documents.
Visiting US for Pleasure and Exploring
- Bank statement, copy of passbook, any other proof of cash as proof of funds.
- Your itinerary, including the complete travel plan with dates.
- Business card (if any).
Visiting Children or Family in the US
- Letter of invitation from family members in the US.
- Invitation card or evidence of event, if visiting the US to attend a family event.
Visiting the US for Medical Treatment
- Letter from your physician in India, stating the diagnosis of your medical condition.
- Evidence of acceptance from a licensed medical facility in the US for treatment.
- Proof of sufficient funds to pay for medical treatment, including bank statements.
You should know that the above mentioned list of documents doesn’t apply for all, and only depends on individual circumstances.