Choosing a travel insurance plan before your trip is confusing – admit it. Why? I mean, look at all the different options out there. Limited coverage, comprehensive coverage, covering pre existing conditions, PPO network or otherwise…one is sure to get intimidated by all the options that gets thrown at you. I’ve been keeping track of some of the best travel insurance plans out there, comparing and recommending them to my friends who are visiting USA (Heck, even tips on how to choose a good plan). Even then, many friends email me asking which one to go for, because why? They are confused. I try my best to answer them recommending plans that best fit their situation. But I have to admit, sometimes I wish if there was a better plan. One that had better features, offered more coverage, was flexible and fit visitors uses well. Well, looks like somebody finally heard my prayers and launched a plan that pretty much hit all the points – Cover America Gold! This plan was launched on December 5th, 2017 and learning about it did bring a smile on my face.
This is probably the best plan so far, for visitors to USA. A well thought out, well balanced, custom plan that I wished was available before!
Before I go all goo-goo ga-ga over it, let me explain why this is a good plan, we’ve all been waiting for.
Typically, for folks visiting USA, a travel insurance plan is a must. But when you look at all the features available on different plans, they don’t really look like they were built for people traveling to USA alone. They sure did have features but they were more like a blanket approach. The features would cut a median through travelers to different countries, different situations and weren’t really tailor made for visitors to USA. That was the only thing that bothered me.
Earlier, you would most often get a travel insurance plan that would cover a lot more days than needed, wouldn’t let you extend it online or cover only a thin feeble PPO network, would not offer enough coverage or wouldn’t cover pre-existing conditions even. So frustrating!
Looks like Cover America Gold was tailor made for folks traveling to USA, exactly pin-pointing their issues, and customized to fir their usual travel insurance needs. Let’s look at its features.
CoverAmerica Gold Travel Insurance Features
- Cover America Gold is a comprehensive travel insurance plan for folks visiting USA from their home countries.
- It offers coverage from 5 days to 364 days and is renewable or cancellable anytime online.
- It offers a very cheap co-pay for emergency consultation – only $25!
- It’s best suited for elders traveling to USA, although it’s a good fit for others as well.
- Probably the best travel insurance plan that pays 100% coverage after the deductible is satisfied.
- Cover America Gold also covers acute onset of pre-existing conditions and offers coverage for seniors up to 79 years old.
- Cover America Gold offers coverage for emergency dental treatment and eye exams.
- It offers easy and affordable access to urgent care.
- Cover America Gold offers probably the most widest PPO network.
- It covers border entry protection if travelers is denied entry.
- It also offers coverage for missed connections (during travel), loss of passport or travel documents, amusement park coverage and cruise coverage.
So now you know why Cover America Gold is far better compared to other travel insurance plans out there. Some of it’s features like offering easy urgent care, up to 79 years age limit, 100% coverage and widest PPO network are all unique features! I think it’s a well balanced plan that offers the best medical coverage (cutting off all the unnecessary frills) with even a good travel insurance coverage (loss of passport etc).
So, is CoverAmerica Gold the best travel insurance plan ever?
Very likely, in my opinion. I think it’s probably one of the best travel insurance plan out there for visitors to USA, especially elder folks. It’s got all the features that you always wanted, without all the unnecessary frills.
What is the copay for urgent care in CoverAmerica Gold?
CoverAmerica Gold offers urgent care emergency consultation co-pay of just $25. In my opinion, this is very cheap and one of the best features in this plan. It also offers emergency dental treatment and eye exam as well!
What about pre-existing conditions? Do CoverAmerica Gold cover pre existing conditions?
Yes, absolutely. It covers acute onset of pre-existing conditions and covers up to 79 years of age.
Who cannot buy CoverAmerica Gold?
People from the following countries cannot buy CoverAmerica Gold unfortunately – Islamic Republic of Iran, Syrian Arab Republic, U.S. Virgin Islands, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone.
How does CoverAmerica Gold cover treatment charges?
Traveling Inside the United States
For treatment received within the PPO network: after you pay the deductible, the plan pays 100% to the selected medical maximum.
For Treatment received outside the PPO network: after you pay the deductible, the plan pays 80% of the next $5,000 of eligible expenses, then 100% to the selected medical maximum.
Traveling Outside the United States
After you pay the deductible: the plan pays 100% to the selected medical maximum.
What does CoverAmerica Gold’s eye exam benefits cover?
In this plan, visitors are covered for an eye exam to obtain prescription corrective lenses if they are lost or damaged during your trip.
So, there you have it. CoverAmerica is definitely a great plan for visitors to USA, especially elder folks. With its customized features and generous coverage, I’m sure many people will find it useful.
Update: As of June 1st, 2018, few changes have been made to CoverAmerica’s features. They’re listed below.
- Urgent care co-pay : Changed from $30 to $25 for $50,000 policy max and $20 for $100,000 or higher.
- Border entry protection : Was $400 earlier. Changed to $500.
- Coverage Area : Covers US and trips to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, South America & Latin America.
- Prescription & Other Medical Services Discount Card with our own name is now available.
Disclaimer: I’m not an insurance agent or in any way qualified to provide legal advice on life insurance. The above review is purely for research purposes and based on information available online. The above review may contain product links, through which if purchases are made, might compensate this website.