When I came to the US, one of the things I had on my checklist was to bring my parents to the US. And that’s how I researched on this subject and unearthed lot of hurdles. I wasn’t sure if I should get travel insurance for them first. But later found out that it’s probably the most important thing I could buy during their visit. In this article, I’ll talk about the best travel insurance plans for senior citizens and the elderly and why you should get them.
Why get medical & travel insurance for senior citizens?
This appears to be very obvious, right? They are elderly people and need more protection against risks. True, but there are some more things you got to understand. Travel has become so much a hassle these days. TSA checks, baggage losses, cancelled flights and what not. Even young folks with so much connectivity and information can make mistakes during travel. For senior citizens, there is too much to worry about during travels. Unfortunate things are happening more commonly these days and it is important to protect them from these risks. Travel insurance these days are catered specifically for senior citizens and offer quite a lot. Let’s look at some of the best medical & travel insurance plans for senior citizens and elderly folks here.
This is a good plan if your parent is 80+. It is a visitor insurance plan that provides medical coverage and emergency services to individuals traveling to USA. After the deductible is satisfied, the plan pays 80% for the first $5,000 and then 100% thereafter towards eligible covered expenses for each sickness or injury. Safe Travels USA Comprehensive Plan covers up to $50,000 of an acute onset of a pre-existing condition and provides the best coverage for acute onset of pre-existing conditions for people between the ages of 80-89. (Acute onset refers to a sudden and unexpected recurrence of a pre-existing condition, that happens without any warning, and requires immediate medical attention.) You can see the details of the plan in the brochure here.
Features Comprehensive coverage plan
- Coverage from 5 days to 2 years
- Renewable and Cancelable
- PPO network (See list of doctors and hospitals)
- Covers during International Travel
- Unexpected recurrence of a pre-existing condition up to the policy maximum
This is a medical & travel insurance plan from International Medical Group. It’s a comprehensive travel medical insurance plan for non-U.S. citizens traveling. (Learn about type of travel insurance plans here) The plan offers all the standard benefits available 24 hours a day to every individual, families or groups of five or more travelers. This is one of the most popular travel plans among senior citizens.
Advantages of Patriot America Plus Insurance
- Comprehensive coverage for an affordable premium.
- Acute onset of pre-existing condition coverage available up to selected policy maximum.
- PPO network.
- Deductible must be satisfied only once per policy period.
- Renewable online, cancellable, and refundable.
First thing about Atlas America is that it’s a popular insurance company. I’ve heard about it from many of my friends even before getting my first plan. I researched on why it is so popular and found that it’s very cheap compared to other plans and offers great coverage and benefits. It covers acute onset of pre-existing conditions, up to $1,000,000 for age under 70 yrs. (Check plan for details).
Things to be mindful of while choosing medical & travel insurance for seniors
- Make sure the benefits are clear and shared with you in writing.
- Ensure that the age limit is clear and you are covered.
- Check what pre-existing conditions are covered and not if you are getting such a plan.
- Ensure you buy the plan before your flight.
- Get online quotes before you buy the plan.
Those are the travel insurance plans I recommend for senior citizens. Here is the full list.
Which travel insurance plans are best for parents aged 80+ with pre-existing conditions?
My recommendation would be…
- Safe Travels USA Comprehensive
- Diplomat America (Comprehensive)
- Patriot Platinum (Comprehensive)
- Safe Travels USA – Cost Saver (Comprehensive)
- Inbound Guest (Limited)
- Safe Travels for Visitors to the USA (Limited)
- Inbound USA (Limited)
What are the clauses if any?
- No special clauses, but the maximum coverage options are lower for the higher age brackets.
Which one plan would I suggest for aged parents/couples?
- I’d recommend Safe Travels USA Comprehensive Plan because it covers up to $50,000 of an acute onset of a pre-existing condition.
- This plan provides the best coverage for acute onset of pre-existing conditions for people between the ages of 80-89.
- You can see the details of the plan in the brochure.
If you have questions, please post in comments.